How to Come up with a Proper and Engaging Topic



Coming up with a topic may seem easy to you until you put pen to paper and really start thinking about it. Most people have a general idea about what they want to write about in a blog, but the reality is, your topic may already be taken. If your topic isn't taken, you may find, upon really thinking about it that your WordPress blog topic won't be able to last for you over time. For example, blogging about a trip to Mexico may only last for as long as you're in Mexico. Finding a topic that will last over time and provide you with plenty of stuff to write about is really important.


When you first start trying to come up with a topic, you should take some time to brainstorm about things you enjoy thinking and writing about. Think about what motivates you to create a blog to begin with. Do you want to share an experience or thoughts with a wider audience of interested readers? Do you just love to write and want to write about something? Are you trying to propagate ideas about something you're passionate about? What motivates you is going to play a role in helping you choose the right topic. But begin with a good brainstorming session about topics that you enjoy.

After you've written down a list of topics that you could write about, it's time to do some research on the topic. For example, you may want to do a Google blog search to see who else is doing blogs on the topic you've chosen. Perhaps you'll find that you're the first person to tackle your topic, but chances are, you'll find several other bloggers out there who are writing about your topic.

If you find that your topic has been written about in blogs by a number of other people, try honing in on your topic and getting more specific. Or, perhaps, zoom out and get more general on your topic, whichever seems more appropriate. Getting more specific about your topic will probably be good for you because people who are truly interested specifically in the topic you've chosen will be more likely to interact regularly on your blog. After you've decided on a more specific blog topic, search again for that topic at Google blog search and see if you've still got a lot of competition, if so, repeat the process into you narrow down a blog topic that has not been overdone by other bloggers and that promises to provide you with plenty of content to write about.

This article has been contributed by David Ritchie. Dave is a technical freelance writer interested in Trojan horse virus.



LIKE THIS POST? SHARE THIS TO Tweet This ! Share On Facebook ! Add To Del.icio.us ! Digg This Post ! Share On Reddit ! Share On StumbleUpon ! Share On MySpace ! Blog Feed !





Share your views...

8 Respones to "How to Come up with a Proper and Engaging Topic"

Zen said...

Nice article there. I do agree that "timeless" topics may be searched by anyone and helps increase traffic. Thank you for this. :)


November 5, 2011 at 4:59 AM
Unknown said...

@Zen: Anytime Zen, :) thanks for visiting :)


November 5, 2011 at 5:02 AM
Marvs said...

The problem with me is I usually wanted to right about too many topics that I sometimes end facing a blank wall and not accomplish anything.


November 5, 2011 at 8:59 AM
Ahmad Khoirul Azmee said...

HI, I'm glad to drop by here :)
I do agree. Blogging about same topics is not bad at all, as long as they are presented in different points of view. Sometimes after googling about a topic, i visit each blog page shown on the search result, the first result page, mostly :-). It is always an interesting thing to do because I find some different points and thoughts though the posts speak of the same topic. They give me rich knowledge, indeed.
Nice post, my friend. Nice blog. I love your blog, truly.
Regards.


November 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM
Unknown said...

@Marvs: Im also like that, I also stuck on a blank wall and nothing is coming out of my head :/


November 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM
Unknown said...

@Ahmad Khoirul Azmee: Thanks a lot mate.. :)


November 5, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Jade Sitjar said...

One of the most bizzare things I always experience is when when I'm not in front of a computer I'd get lots of ideas to talk about on my blog BUT when I'm now in front of my computer all those wonderful ideas become nothing but doodles on my mind.

But whenever I get on a very good mood, despite this, I can write anything - ideas spouting all over my head regardless of if somebody already had written about it. everybody is entitled to share their experiences right? But for those who just want's to get traffic to their website, i'm sure they would want to write a topic that hasn't been told about to the world.

what topic has not been shared about? I think almost every topic has already been talked about. It's just that How they are shared is the difference.


November 7, 2011 at 3:39 AM
Anonymous said...

It's been a while since the last time I visited your blog. I like the article above. I completely agree of what is writen. My problem is sometimes I don't follow rules. That is a good reminders to me. Cheers!


January 31, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Post a Comment

This is a do-follow blog and is updated regularly.

■ Avoid posting non related contents.
■ Please use a name instead of blog name or SEO stuff, otherwise it will be deleted right away

 

Disclaimer | Filipino BlogKarya's HavenReggae MusicBXUNETFood DiaryDiamonds For Sale